Sunday 28 August 2011

Daily Class Reflection

Session 1 22 August 2011
In today's session all activity was interesting. The first activity was solving a problem with names. It was engaging and i was able to see a pattern in it. In doing math, there is always a pattern involved. It is a matter of seeing it. How do I get to see it? I feel that it prerequisites like multiples and counting in groups are necessary for observing patterns and it just does not appear in one look.  
I learned that ordinal numbers could be separated as numbers in space and time. Although we introduce this concept to children, there are always little things that get missed out and we end up making mistakes without realising that children are getting confused. The use of language plays a key role in relating concepts to learners regardless of experience.

Most names had the ninety-ninth place on the third letter of their names. I am very sure that in my name it is on the fifth letter, although there was a discussion involved and someone saw it at the third letter.
I was able to solve the problem of the cards and it's spelling using the cards. This was an exciting activity because after working it out, I had to check if I did it correctly. I felt like a child as I spelt out the numbers. A sense of achievement at the end.
I feel that this whole course is going to set me thinking if i have been teaching math to my studeents to make them think to solve problems in various ways rather than to get the correct answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment